Thursday, February 2, 2012

Is it Cold or Allergy Season?


I've had an abnormal number of colds this winter, which I've found quite odd, especially since I've been trying to take better care of myself.  I've been drinking water more, drinking soda less, watching what I eat, etc., but nothing really seemed to keep the colds at bay.

Just a few days ago I found out what was going on, though.  I was working at our local middle school, and one of the women I worked with had been so sick that she actually went to the doctor's office to see what was going on.  It turns out that because this winter has been strangely warm for where I live, many people have continued suffering from allergy symptoms that they otherwise would not have.  The allergens have simply not frozen.

Because people in my area are so used to these allergens freezing during the winter, providing some allergy relief, these symptoms can be easily mistaken for colds: you get a runny nose, a sore throat, it's harder to breathe, etc.  However, allergies are much easier to get rid of than a cold.  All you have to do is start taking your preferred (or prescribed) allergy medication, and the symptoms go away!

What do you do to combat allergy season?

No comments:

Post a Comment