Wednesday, August 29, 2012

DIY Book Clutch!


I've always loved the idea of books having secret compartments in them - hiding them in a bookcase or in the library that I someday hope to have in my house!  Which is why I was so excited when I stumbled upon a DIY for this book clutch, pointing out to me, at least, that I could have my secret library compartment while also having a fun little clutch to carry around with me!  I have some fun, old computer textbooks (from the 70's!) that might be kind of fun to use for this DIY!

If you're in college, or maybe even high school, you can maybe find some old textbooks lying around for free - teachers and professors simply don't use them any more, because they're outdated, etc.  That's how I ended up finding the computer textbooks!  I saw some free old textbooks after one of my computer science classes!  I would definitely recommend trying to find these for this project, and at least try it out on that before using a more expensive book!

Materials

  • Hardcover book of your choosing
  • Clasp
  • Glue
  • Foam brush
  • Ruler
  • Exacto Knife
Directions

Open the book, and flip it open a couple pages.  Then, glue along the outside edge of the book, gluing the pages together.  Keep the book open, and let the pages dry while putting weight on top of it to keep the pages from wrinkling.  

Open the book to the same place as before, and mark a rectangle 3/4" away from each side.  With the exacto knife, cut along the line you just made, removing a couple pages at a time.  Continue until you're almost to the end.  Brush some more glue on the inside and outside of this cut section, sealing the pages together, then close the book completely and add weight to it to let the book dry again.  

Cut an 'X' in the top page that was just glued down, then put glue on the underside of the four triangular flaps you just created.  Press these flaps down into the center crevice.  Then, just attach the clasp, and you're done!

Image used is from here

No comments:

Post a Comment