Monday, May 14, 2012

DIY Little Black Summer Dress

Okay, confession time: this post should have gone up back when we were Carrie & Claus - remember that?  Seems like a long time ago, but it was just last month!  And still, I should have put this little DIY up LAST MONTH WHEN I DID IT!  I suppose I shouldn't feel too bad about it, since I've put up a bunch of other fun posts, but I absolutely love this little tube dress, and I think it's incredibly versatile.

Since it's made from a t-shirt, it's a comfortable cotton, but you can dress it up with a fun jacket and scarf like I did in my Ocean Scarf pattern - yes, it is the same dress.  It also has the added bonus of being quick and easy!  As always, if you try this out, let me know by sending me a picture via my contact page!  I would love to see what you come up with!


Materials:
  • 1 XL Men's t-shirt
  • Seam Ripper
  • Scissors
  • Sewing Machine
Instructions
  • Using the seam ripper, take the collar off the t-shirt.
  • Lying the t-shirt down flat, make a straight cut from about 3-4" beneath the armpit to the edge of the space the collar left behind.
  • Turn the t-shirt inside out, and sew front and back pieces together about 3/4" from where you just cut.
  • Finally, hem the top edge of the t-shirt, and voila!  It is no longer a t-shirt, but a nice, flowing sleeveless dress that you can wear comfortably in the summer or as a swimsuit cover-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment