Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo


 
A couple days ago, I realized I hadn't done any free reading for an incredibly long time, and decided that needed to change.  So, I looked up the USA Today Bestseller list to see if anything would catch my eye. The Hunger Games topped the list, and although I've heard great things about those books, I wasn't particularly interested in reading any of them at the time.

I scrolled down through the list, and eventually came across a book by Todd Burpo, called Heaven is for Real.  I didn't really know much about it, but decided that would be the book to get me back into reading.  As I am writing this, Heaven is for Real, is still in the #8 spot on the list, but it has been as high as topping the list at #1.

That night, I headed to the Walmart in our town - it was the only store that carried books open at the time.  I found the book quite easily, and as I was in the line to check out, the woman in front of me began raving about it.  This, of course, got me even more excited to get back home and start reading.

My first sitting got me through about half the book, and a couple of days later, here I am, finished with the book and writing about it.  I have already passed it on to my mother, and I have two other good friends waiting in line to read it.

It is a fantastic non-fiction book written by the father of a little boy, Colton Burpo, who had an experience unlike any I'm sure most of us have ever had.  When he was four years old, his appendix burst, and the little boy almost died.  It was during the operation that would eventually save his life, that Colton made an incredible journey to heaven.  It is Colton's stories of heaven, told through his father's eyes, that this book is about.

Personally, I loved the book, and I definitely recommend checking it out, even if you're not a believer. It has a cute story line about what we could be seeing after death, and it's in such simplistic terms that it's an easy religious book to read.

What books have you loved recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment